Are you building or renovating a home and trying to decide between double pane windows or triple pane windows?
What You Need Helps with What You Pick
Before making a decision, know what you want from the window. Replacing legacy single pane windows and want more soundproofing for your home? Or is improved energy efficiency at the top of the list?
Energy Efficiency, the most Popular Concern
Both double pane windows and triple pane windows improve energy efficiency over old single pane windows. Energy loss in some parts of the States can be responsible for up to 15 to 35 percent of a home’s heat-loss during the winter. With Oklahoma’s blazing hot summers, keeping heat out is just as important. Replace single-pane windows with double pane or triple-paned assemblies and you will see a marked energy efficiency improvements.
So Which to Pick
Tackling the question on which windows, double or triple pane, are better is not so simple and largely depends on what you want those windows to do. Compare some pros and cons before making your decision.
Pros and Cons of Double Pane or Triple Pane Windows
- More energy efficient than single pane windows, reducing energy loss through the window by as much as 50 percent.
- Cost less than triple pane windows.
- Lighter construction allows for lighter support construction.
- More light flows into rooms due to only 2 panes vs 3 panes of glass.
- Less energy efficient than triple pane windows.
- Less resilient than triple pane windows.
Triple pane windows
- More energy efficient than double-paned windows.
- More impervious to condensation.
- Extremely durable owing to their heavy construction.
- Safer due to their durability.
- More expensive. Will eventually pay for themselves but it might take 10-20 years as their energy savings over double-paned glass are small.
- Heavier than double pane windows requiring more support.
- Decreased transmission of light into your home than double pane windows.
Which to buy depends on many factors like how long you will be in the house, how much light you want in your home or even how strong the construction of your house is.
Consider how the inside pane of glass feels when the weather is cold outside. With triple pane windows, the inner pane tends to feel warmer, making you feel warmer.
Triple Pane vs. Double Pane Windows for Noise Reduction
Noise-reduction is minor for both window types. As long as you are not next to railroad tracks, many homeowners, however, have found that triple pane windows help with noise reduction. If you want a quieter window and are ready for a dramatic increase in price, consider laminated glass. It is much more effective at eliminating unwanted noise.
Hopefully, this helps you make a more informed decision on whether to use double pane windows or triple pane windows for your home. If you have more questions, give us a call at Parker Brothers Roofing at 405-741-6252 and we’ll try to give you a hand.